For games which revolve around forming letters into words, see Word games.
For games which can comfortably accommodate ten players, see Party games.
Two-player abstract strategy gamesPlayers know the entire game state at all times, and random generators such as dice are not used.
Classic two-player abstract strategy games
- Nine Men's Morris
- Pool Checkers
- Xiang Qi
Modern two-player abstract strategy games
- Chinese checkers
- Connect Four
- Five Field Kono
- Heads and Tails
- L Game
- Lines of Action
- Martian Chess (for two or four players)
- Three Musketeers
Two-player games of chanceLuck or hidden information may decide the outcome, but skill predominates.
- CooperYoung (aka InterSect)
- Liu po
Multi-player elimination gamesParticipants are typically eliminated before game end.
European race games
- Game of the Goose
- Tour of Europe
- Round the World with Nellie Bly
- Game of Japan
- The Sun of Brunswick
- Jeu du Grand-Homme
- Circle of Knowledge
- Peter Rabbit's Race Game
Multiplayer games without eliminationEveryone can play along to the end. These games are especially suited for mixed play with adults and children.
- Can't Stop
- Cluedo (also known as Clue)
- El Grande
- Euphrat und Tigris
- The Game of Life
- Kill Doctor Lucky
- Lost Cities
- Mine a million - Dig for minerals, transport to town and get rich...
- Pay Day
- Prendi e porta a casa
- Puerto Rico
- Rail Baron
- Settlers of Catan
- Scotland Yard
- Seven Deadly Sins
- Super Quiz
Modern WargamesAccurate simulation of historical or hypothetical battles is an objective.
- Advanced Squad Leader
- Axis & Allies
- France 1940
- Third Reich
Games of physical skillCoordination, finesse, or other physical skills are necessary.
Children's gamesThe rules are easy to learn and the outcome mostly or entirely due to chance.
History of Board Games, Solved board games, Computer Olympiad, Card game, Mind sport, Zillions of Games, List of board game publishers, List of Japanese board games,Games table desk.
- Board Games - a collection of board games to play free online.
- BoardGameWiki - a wiki dedicated to board games.
- Funagain Games - an online retailer; includes short profiles of many propriety games.
- Boardgame Geek - a board gamer community site; includes user reviews, strategies, and session reports.
- The Games Journal - a boardgaming monthly; good source for in-depth articles about boardgaming.
- Traditional Games - includes information on classical games.
- International Journal for the Study of Board Games
- Boardgame Players Association - World Boardgaming Championships
- 1970s Vintage Boardgames - UK 1970s rare vintage board games.